Schindler's elevator

Left is a control panel of an elevator I found in my company's Beijing office (I guess it is a Schindler's elevator). Right is usual one at my home.

In case of left, you have to input your floor number where you want to go and it will display elevator index which is probably a result from optimized calculation. It is very smart idea for a building which has multiple elevators and especially it can optimize path for people who want to travel to multiple floor together by selecting path-through route. Of course, it seems needs little more intelligence of passenger.

In case of right, it is general design but when I was young I wondered I have to press down or up arrow for going up from base floor when it was at upper floor. I wondered I have to manipulate the elevator come to me at first? Do I need to press down arrow to let it descend? It was just an alternative idea for elevator system before building a model of it in my mind yet.

Both designs want you to input where you want to go. It is asking you and not waiting for your operation. At first, I needed some time to understand Schindler's destination control system. I wonder whether the problem is difficult system or just unfamiliar new for me.

Anyway, it was great experience for me because it remind me of what was my first question for interface design problem.

PREFERENCE
Wikipedia: Elevator
Elevator maker: Schindler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bushman's Toilet

Mobile Flirting (Part2)

Mobile Flirting (Part 1)