Public Collect Call Phone


This look like a mundane home phone but it is dedicated collect call public phone installed at a convenient store. Anyone can make a call without a penny. Even you don't need to know collect call prefix as well (ex.00700 in Korea).

It is shame that public phone is disappearing from street. Years a go (Before pager era), whenever I try to call my girl friend, I have to go phone booth from my home just for privacy. I still remember how my heart was beating when I make a call to her home and wished that she can pick up the phone instead of her father. But that's just old story now.

Nowadays, it's really hard to find a coin public phone. I believe phone card public phone is not public at all. In many countries, international calls is only available with some special public phone.

Back to the collect call story, problem for this business is 'privacy'. Many people don't accept call from stranger or unknown CID (Caller's number). The other side may don't want to pay for your call of course. If you can input your name or short message such as "frmAlfUrgent!"as Caller ID for placing a collect call might be helpful to make a call to a mobile phone.


Supplement: Added at 15 Aug.
A few days a go, I tried this service by myself. As soon as I pick the handset up, I can hear some DTMF sounds (Probably prefix number for collect call service) and make a call to my phone. Caller ID seems just normal home phone number. The receiver would have no idea it is a collect call or not in any way.
It doesn't make sense at all for me at least.

REFERENCE
SKTelink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bushman's Toilet

Mobile Flirting (Part2)

Mobile Flirting (Part 1)