Star Rating


On my iTunes, there are 2 songs which have five stars. Absolutely It is best song for my life. How about you? It seems you can see 5, 10 or whatever rating system on hotels, music and movie etc. It is clear about top rating but others seem too often ambiguous for me.


Some people think 3 is mid point but others regard 2 as acceptable. If you love to watch Leonard Martin's movie critic, movie with 1 or 2 stars means it is rubbish or only few may love it.

Back to my iTune, some time I found really funny song in my collection. For example, I bought a Korean idol star's album. I loved their new song "Road" but first intro track was sound of fan's yelling and cheering noise in concert. I really hate that so I decide to give CD to my young colleague. But again I found some annoying sound in my iPod. My iPod has that intro noise sound and I can't delete it. As you know, you can't delete a song in iPod (Typical PC minded users some time want it). So I have to remember which song should be kicked out of my iPod.

Here is one tip for you. Please mark that song with one star. Later you can easily find out which song should be purged. Because I'm a generous man, I usually give 3~5 stars to a song. Actually only 36 songs are rated by myself from 1400 songs in my iPod. Even if it has two stars, it is very good. But a song with one star that's a bad.

Following is my star rating system. 6 grades (Don' forget to count Zero)
* * * * * : Great songs. I use it as a Redbull for my soul.
* * * * : Good songs. Yes, I think you might love it too.
* * * & * * ; I can't tell you what is difference between these 3 & 2 stars. But I'm sure it is noteworthy.
*: A hate mark. I'll purge it when I have time with iTune.
Not Rated: I might give some stars in future.

Why don't we have a minus star? A skull icon may be used for it.

By the way, I found more interesting about iTunes"Play Count". It is only counted when a song plays and finished. It is accumulated value as user listen to. As you might guess, it is similar with my star rated list.

What if I can trust some one who might share my interest and can recommend a good new or undiscovered song for me? Can I use my star rating system to find a mate who can share same musical interest from Internet?

Otherwise more collaborative rating system as a Mashup can happen? If you are lonely traveler in strange city, ZAGAT's trusted ratings and review may help you to find a good meal. It is sophisticated 30 point scale on food, decoration, service and cost. Of course it is not perfect but it is commonsense level of wisdom for you. One more tip, if you don't have Zagat guide, just try to find a crowded restaurant.

SOWHAT?
1. We need to think about negative rating.
2. Matchmaking system based on comparing iTune playlist. It may help you to find a soul mate.
3. How can a rating system be a reliable and helpful? Too often it may be spoiled with advertising promotion.


Reference
DJUNA's movie critics
Wikipedia "Rating"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bushman's Toilet

Mobile Flirting (Part2)

Mobile Flirting (Part 1)